SubjectRe: SMBFS: recvmsg called within BH (was: Re: One more boobytrap needed for 2.2.15pre ?)
Date
> * samba servers use SMB packet "0x85" for keepalive probes. If the
> client answers, then the connection remains active. smbfs supports these
> probes.
>
> * WinNT servers do not send such packets. They just disconnect after a
> few minutes (*), and it expects that the client will establish a new
> connection.
>
> smbfs doesn't create a new connection, and the old connection got killed
> --> io error!

AFAIK it is smbmount's (user space process) responsability to recreate the
connection and pass the fd to kernel via ioctl() call. See that smbmount stays
in memory after successful mouting.

The problem is that smbmount has a bug: it closes a log FILE* handle when
the first connection has been done and, when it tries to remake the
connection, tries to write some log message again and segfaults.

The solution is simple: patch the debug library routine so it tests the file
handle before tries to printf on it. Since it is not a kernel issue, I did not
include the patch here, altrough I can send to everyone that asks for it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.080 / U:0.212 seconds]