    SubjectRe: /proc/nzombies

    > >It's not at all daft. Why not put them in /proc/lost+found/ instead?

    My purpose is to get the *number* of zombies pretty quickly and
    efficiently. If I'm then interested in which processes are the zombies,
    a scan of the entire /proc suits me fine. Obviously, if all zombies
    would (also) be in /proc/lost+found or wherever that would ease my task,
    but I don't find it strictly nescessary.

    > Might I suggest a /proc/0/... tree of process information? (task[0] is
    > the kernel after all.) It would help reduce the clutter in /proc. It

    I like this idea, but we'd better call it /proc/kernelinfo/... or
    something, otherwise a lot of people's programs that think /proc
    subdirectories with an all numeric name are processes will break. I've
    also been thinking at providing the information (maybe also instead of
    only) via sysctl(). Would there be any value in that?

    All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto
    the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:1.840 seconds]