    SubjectRe: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??
    On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

    > Richard,
    >
    > We are looking at this from the M$GARBAGE side of the world. The
    > problem is related to Microsoft's implementation of DHCP and whether or
    > not you have a Microsoft DHCP or WINS server on your network,
    [SNIPPED]

    > "Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
    > >
    > > Alexy and other network gurus;
    > >
    > > When Linux network comes up during boot. I get a number of
    > > "invalid ICMP error to a broadcast" messages from the M$GARBAGE
    > > machines. These persist until I get to turn OFF the messages in
    > > /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
    > > echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses
    > >
    > > [Snipped `dmesg`]
    > >

    > > If a M$GARBAGE server is coming on-line at this time, probable
    > > because they crash often, they report that my machine is using
    > > their IP address so they fail to start their network. We have
    > > so-called documentation, provided by so-called network experts
    > > that "prove" that my machines are "hurting" the M$GARBAGE network.

    [SNIPPED]

    Okay. I execute `tcpdump -i eth0` from /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 as soon as eth0
    is configured, but before the route is added. This sould capture
    all the traffic until I get an attempt to log-in and kill the
    task.

    The attached file contains the tcpdump traffic. Enjoy. I just killed
    a M$Server.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.020 / U:95.352 seconds]