SubjectRe: Linux console driver maintainer?

Linus orginally wrote it. It has been modified but it really hasn't
changed much. When 2.5.X comes out this will change. Several people will
be working on the new console system.

Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am"
James Simmons (o_
fbdev/gfx developer (o_ (o_ //\
http://www.linux-fbdev.org (/)_ (/)_ V_/_
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> A quick scan of the MAINTAINERS file shows nobody maintaining
> "console". I'm wanting to know if 2.2.x (2.2.14
> specifically) supports virtual consoles with different text modes
> on each. For example, I'd like VC8 (tty8) to be 80x50, but I'd
> like tty1 to be 116x60 (via SVGAtextmode). I'd like to be able
> to individually set each virtual console to a different text mode
> and be able to switch from console to console and have the kernel
> switch video modes as I go.

> One issue I wonder about, if it IS possible, or can be made
> easily possible, is: If I'm running X, and switch out of X back
> to the console, how would X restore the video mode properly on
> the given tty I switch to? Lets say I started up X on tty5 in
> 80x50, and then did a CTRL-ALT-F1 once it was started to switch
> to tty1 which is 116x60. Would X switch to tty1 and set it to
> 80x50? If so, would there be a way of forcing it to switch
> properly either in X, or in the kernel, or would there be a way
> of forcing X to switch back to the console it started from on VC
> switch?
>
> It'd be really nice seeing logfiles on the 116x60 screen, or
> 160x100, but being able to run PINE on 80x50 or so...

Use the framebuffer console. It allows for such things. As for the issue
of VT switching this works but a better way to handle this is being worked
on.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.121 / U:0.244 seconds]