    SubjectRe: Oops on 2.2.14 While Doing Direct I/O.
    Jeff V. Merkey writes:

    > Andrea,
    >
    > (and Stephen Tweedie, I appreciate your help earlier)
    >
    > I've noticed that 2.3.X does NOT export the internal calls needed to
    > load NWFS as a driver -- I must now compile it within the kernel. I am
    > using Caldera's latest 2.3, so I am wondering if this is the case for
    > all the distributions, or just theirs. Here's a list of unresolved
    > externs. I can, of course, build an ugly patch to do this if any
    > variables/functions have been declared "static" -- looks like we may
    > have to put out our own linux distribution if going the driver route is
    > not always going to be supported in stock kernels (???).
    [...]
    > If 2.3 is no longer exporting the attached APIs, then you guys may have
    > just added another company to the penguin hatchery (TRG) because we will
    > need to provide our own Linux version (with lots of patches) for each
    > kernel build to support NWFS and M2FS (our clustered file system for
    > Linux) for 2.3 and above.
    >
    > I hope I am missing something here on the public APIs and this is just a
    > Caldera problem. I am heading up there this afternoon to find out
    > what's up with their 2.3/2.4 stuff, and why 2.2 file system drivers are
    > no longer loadable under 2.3/2.4.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol __generic_copy_from_user
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol schedule
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol blkdev_open
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol kmalloc

    Looks like a bug. There's no way that kmalloc() isn't a published
    interface.

    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol __wait_on_buffer
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol vfree
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol mark_buffer_uptodate
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol unregister_filesystem
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol iput
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol getblk
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol ll_rw_block
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol iget
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol register_filesystem
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol sync_dev
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol blk_size
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol sys_tz
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol del_timer
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol refile_buffer
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol kfree
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol vmalloc
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol tq_disk
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol set_blocksize
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol xtime
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol blkdev_release
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol sprintf

    This is suspicious, though. sprintf() is a libc function. Where in the
    kernel is this supposed to be? Are you positive you're
    compiling/loading the driver correctly?

    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol __brelse
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol jiffies
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol printk
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol add_timer
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol kernel_thread
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol set_writetime
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol get_blkfops
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol __generic_copy_to_user
    > ./nwfs.o: unresolved symbol hardsect_size

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.030 / U:0.892 seconds]