SubjectRe: A dumm question.. maybe not...
Date
Hi all,

Well, here i am again...

OK.. i was able to read the article from zdnet.com web site about
"Compiling Linux 2.2 Kernel"
http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2213046,00.html

I would like second opinion on the steps given there.

1. Download the kernel ( As pointed out before, insteat of 2.3.xx I
have got 2.2.14. Is that the latest stable kernel ??)
2. Uncompress & untar the sources at /usr/src/linux
3. make config ( or make menuconfig, or make xconfig ) . how do i
know if Tcl/Tk is installed??? They suggest that the Documentation directory
in the 2.2 sources helps regarding each section of config questions.
4. make dep
5. make zImage ( Compiling the source )
6. make modules
7. make modules_install
8. Copy the new kernel to the place where the old kernel was.
9. Add the new kernel image section in lilo.conf
10. Run lilo.
And reboot.

I have one LAST question ( Please be patient .. please) do i need
anything else, updated gcc?? updated libs??? what libs??

Thanks for all your time.

Regards

Pavan

One