SubjectRe: [proposal] /dev/debug to host kcore (and others in the future)
H. Peter Anvin writes:
> Followup to: <200002222116.IAA03334@mobilix.atnf.CSIRO.AU>
> By author: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Tigran Aivazian writes:
> > > Hi Richard,
> > >
> > > I thought of moving /proc/kcore to devfs and there is no obvious
> > > place to put it. Why not create a /dev/debug/ and put kcore (and
> > > profile) in there? In the future one can have ktrace (or whatever
> > > it was called from IKD patches, can't remember).
> >
> > How is /proc/kcore different from /dev/kmem or one of those devices,
> > anyway? (I haven't bothered to look)
> >
> > I'm considering moving the "memory" devices to /dev/mem anyway.
> > /proc/kcore, if it is actally different, would belong there, IMO.
>
> The memory devices would be inadvisable to move, since they are
> "well known" device locations. ALL Unices have them.

Yes, I know. That's why the patch I sent to Linus didn't do that ;-)
But perhaps /dev/kmem, /dev/mem, /dev/port, /dev/random and
/dev/urandom could be moved, since only Linux-specific tools would
need to be modified.

It's really only /dev/full, /dev/null and /dev/zero that are "well
known".

> We used to have /dev/core, for some reason it was moved to
> /proc/kcore for no apparent reason, except that perhaps gdb wanted
> the size information.

In that case we could move it. First add it to devfs and eventually
remove it from /proc.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.060 / U:0.160 seconds]