    SubjectRe: [proposal] /dev/debug to host kcore (and others in the future)
    H. Peter Anvin writes:
    > Followup to: <200002222116.IAA03334@mobilix.atnf.CSIRO.AU>
    > By author: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>
    > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    > >
    > > Tigran Aivazian writes:
    > > > Hi Richard,
    > > >
    > > > I thought of moving /proc/kcore to devfs and there is no obvious
    > > > place to put it. Why not create a /dev/debug/ and put kcore (and
    > > > profile) in there? In the future one can have ktrace (or whatever
    > > > it was called from IKD patches, can't remember).
    > >
    > > How is /proc/kcore different from /dev/kmem or one of those devices,
    > > anyway? (I haven't bothered to look)
    > >
    > > I'm considering moving the "memory" devices to /dev/mem anyway.
    > > /proc/kcore, if it is actally different, would belong there, IMO.
    >
    > The memory devices would be inadvisable to move, since they are
    > "well known" device locations. ALL Unices have them.

    Yes, I know. That's why the patch I sent to Linus didn't do that ;-)
    But perhaps /dev/kmem, /dev/mem, /dev/port, /dev/random and
    /dev/urandom could be moved, since only Linux-specific tools would
    need to be modified.

    It's really only /dev/full, /dev/null and /dev/zero that are "well
    known".

    > We used to have /dev/core, for some reason it was moved to
    > /proc/kcore for no apparent reason, except that perhaps gdb wanted
    > the size information.

    In that case we could move it. First add it to devfs and eventually
    remove it from /proc.

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.027 / U:0.748 seconds]