       Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:45:37 +1300
    From: Chris Wedgwood <>

    Testing this does seem to confirm this -- but setting IP_RECVERR
    doesn't seem to restore the previous behavior? Am I missing

    It's not meant to, IP_RECVERR works differently. You set the
    MSG_ERRQUEUE flag in a recvmsg call and this is how you obtain
    the IP_RECVERR descriptor blocks.

    Look folks. All of these arguments are going on deaf ears, because
    the old behavior is not coming back without a solution to the problem
    which was solved. The problem we have fixed is several orders of
    magnitude _worse_ than hostname or username lookups stalling for 30
    seconds on a misconfigured system.

    As for all the "distribution X is broken now" arguments. Have any
    of you tried to use RARP with 2.3.x using the tools shipped by
    any vendor in any release? It won't work, because we tossed rarp
    from the kernel because it belongs in user space. Yet I hear nobody
    crying about that.

    I feel rather sure that when vendors ship 2.4.x supported kernels
    for their distributions, they will also provide corrections for
    these issues as well.

    2.4.x is about moving on and fixing the problems of our past, not
    being stuck with them forever.

    Someone mentioned that Solaris deals with dead NIS servers etc.
    It would be interesting for someone to find out (with strace or
    something similar) how they detect the NIS server being down,
    I would not be surprised if they used a timeout mechanism of
    some sort.

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.020 / U:8.856 seconds]