SubjectRe: accept() improvements for rt signals

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> > The kernel does not have to search the fd array to find the smallest
> > free fd value.
>
> Genuis. Pure genuis. Another bottleneck hits the dust. :)

ok the clone-like flags are great, but i think the newfd is a mistake (and
i'm regretting that i'm the one who suggested it :)

in general, apps still need to use open(), and folks doing proxying (such
as an HTTP proxy sitting in front of a heterogeneous collection of
webservers, which is an increasingly common configuration) use socket() to
get new sockets for outgoing connections regularly.

i think it's better to have a per-task setting which means "use a fd free
list and don't guarantee me any lowest numbered fd semantics please".

Dean

p.s. i've brought up the tcp proxy as an important application in the past
and it's been pooh-poohed... but it's becoming more important. apache is
a monolithic server and it's becomming more and more difficult to link in
everyone's favourite library. a much more scalable (in the software
management sense) approach is to use a bunch of distinct webservers, each
handling a portion of a urlspace. the direction things are headed is that
we'll have a very efficient front-end HTTP proxy/cache which communicates
with several backend dynamic servers. see zach's phhttpd work for
example.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.090 / U:1.124 seconds]