    SubjectRe: Proposed SyncPPP layer modifications
    I have a suggestion for syncppp (not directly related to this topic):

    I have encountered some Cisco routers (3600 series IOS 12.0 and 11.3) that
    refuse to recognize Cisco HDLC packets using the
    Cisco multicast address (0xf9). They work fine with the
    unicast address (0x09). A Cisco 1600 series (IOS 11.1) router accepts
    both, but always uses the unicast for responses.

    syncppp is hard coded to always use the multicast address.
    My suggestion (and how I am currently working) is to add a
    flag PP_UNICAST to allow the user to select the address.
    Default is not set so it behaves as before. If the flag is set then
    the unicast address is used.

    Another part of the suggestion is to add ioctl handling to
    set/get the syncppp flags, so the user can configure the
    existing keepalive setting (PP_KEEPALIVE) as well
    as the other settings (PP_UNICAST, PP_CISCO,PP_DEBUG).
    (and possibly move the ioctl constants to a header file in
    the include/linux directory)

    Any objections and/or comments?

    Paul Fulghum
    Microgate Corporation

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.027 / U:98.652 seconds]