    SubjectRe: devfs howto
    On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Sergey Kubushin wrote:
    > Just my $.25 - I liked the old devfs names (that of /dev/sda/c0b0t0u0p1)
    > much more than /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 ...

    Let me be the lone voice speaking up for keeping the longer names. ;-) Two
    reasons:

    a) parsing this programmatically becomes incredibly easy; the filesystem
    handles the hierarchy for you, instead of having to parse the name. You
    can easily traverse the whole tree without ever having to do messy
    string manipulations (meaning a shell can do it without difficulty).

    b) the naming scheme is human-readable instead of symbolic, and mirrors
    the and mirrors the kernel's (and hardware's) underlying hierarchy of
    devices, channels, hosts, luns, partitions, etc, making it more useful
    and instructive to the user managing it.

    And since the naming conventions are changable through devfsd, you can
    abbreviate them if you want. Heck, you could just go back to /dev/sda1 if
    you really want shorter names. :-)

    Anyways, congrats to Richard on finally getting this into the kernel
    proper. :-) Now, if we could just get ALSA in there, I'd be happy...;-)

    --
    Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net> http://home.xnet.com/~emarshal/