SubjectRe: VRAM protection in setup.c
Akira YOSHIYAMA wrote:
> > Since this region is really a special case, we might wind up with some
> > sort of resource access controller which arbitrates access to this
> > region. We need to do this so that PCI VGA cards may share regions...
>
> So, I think we needed:
>
> 1)remap that region by vga16fb.c to access it.

Should already be done. If the region is NOT ioremap'd right now, it is
a bug.

> 2)add an argument to request_*resource()
> to specify enforced request (like -f for commands).

I disagree. We either need to follow Linus' advice (hope and pray
accessing 0xA0000 is ok), or we need to implement a more flexible way of
arbitrating resource sharing of the VGA regions. Adding a hack flag to
the resource system is not a good short-term nor long-term fix, IMHO.

--
Jeff Garzik | I never vote for anyone.
Building 1024 | I always vote against.