    SubjectRe: 2.3.42: Strange memory corruption
    On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Patrick Mau wrote:

    > I have a really strange memory corruption problem with
    > 2.3.42. My system configuration is as follows:

    > After a few md5sums I get different checksums.
    > Now I check the file with bzip2 and get a CRC error.
    > Now I make a copy (plain 'cp') of that file.
    > Then I repeat the above with the copy and get different
    > checksums and also CRC errors from bzip2. (I expected that).
    > --> Here comes the strange part <---
    > Now I reboot into 2.3.30. Same config.
    > And BOTH files, even the 'corrupt' copy, are
    > correct. I can run the md5sum test AND can uncompress
    > BOTH of them. I can always reproduce that.

    This looks a bit like there might be a race with the
    pagetable mapping or read()ing of the file. It would
    explain the three `suspicious' segfaults I've seen in
    the last few days...

    of people. That is its real strength.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:5.080 seconds]