    SubjectRe: Of removable devices
    In <20000218220937.A3336@suse.cz> Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz) wrote:

    >> > Exactly. As far as there are no automatic gear for floppies you can not
    >> > avoid manual unmount if you want reliable work.
    >>
    >> But you CAN ,as at least AmigaOS proves.
    >>
    >> If you didn't understand it at first, I'll repeat it :
    >> IT CAN BE DONE !!!!!!

    VP> Yes, but AmigaOS didn't do it on PC hardware. They did use the same
    VP> floppies PC does, but a different controller. PC floppy controller
    VP> updates the disk change flag only after stepping the head. If you don't
    VP> want to step the head constantly (and also spin the motor all the time),
    VP> you can't check for floppy insertion/removal easily.

    In this tread situation was already cleared: Amiga used the same floppy
    controller. It just asked controller to move head from cylinder 0 to
    cylinder -1. Controller will not move head (it can not be done) but will
    update disk change flag... On oldier versions of floppy Amiga actually moved
    the head once per second...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.053 / U:121.460 seconds]