SubjectRe: Of removable devices
In <20000218220937.A3336@suse.cz> Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz) wrote:

>> > Exactly. As far as there are no automatic gear for floppies you can not
>> > avoid manual unmount if you want reliable work.
>>
>> But you CAN ,as at least AmigaOS proves.
>>
>> If you didn't understand it at first, I'll repeat it :
>> IT CAN BE DONE !!!!!!

VP> Yes, but AmigaOS didn't do it on PC hardware. They did use the same
VP> floppies PC does, but a different controller. PC floppy controller
VP> updates the disk change flag only after stepping the head. If you don't
VP> want to step the head constantly (and also spin the motor all the time),
VP> you can't check for floppy insertion/removal easily.

In this tread situation was already cleared: Amiga used the same floppy
controller. It just asked controller to move head from cylinder 0 to
cylinder -1. Controller will not move head (it can not be done) but will
update disk change flag... On oldier versions of floppy Amiga actually moved
the head once per second...