    SubjectRe: char/Serial.c
    On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Uncle George wrote:

    >Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:16:02 -0500
    >From: Uncle George <gatgul@voicenet.com>
    >To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    >Subject: char/Serial.c
    >
    >Apparently my ttyS1 had an IRQ if 5 ( rather than the usual setting of
    >IRQ 3 ). It seems that the serial driver does not really detect the IRQ
    >settings at all . Without the proper IRQ settings, the port simply times
    >out, and does the next chunk of chars. Very slow, and chunks/fifo fills
    >are also not (always) in multiples of 16.
    >
    >My IRQ settings for ttyS2 & ttyS3 are not what serial.c expects as 4 & 3
    >respectively ( i use 5 & 9 ), but the log in var/log/messages say thet
    >they were detected/set as 4 & 3.
    >
    >This failure to detect the port IRQ's seems to be a boo boo. Do I get to
    >annoy the last serial.c maintainer ( if there is still one )

    The stock 2.2.x kernels have an autoconfigure serial IRQ option
    and it works fantastic on every machine I've used it on. My
    modem serial ports are usually on IRQ 2/9 or 11 or some other
    oddie, and it ALWAYS works... YMMV.

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate

    Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in
    which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

    http://www.freemware.org

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.021 / U:0.080 seconds]