    SubjectRe: Drive name slips...
    Chris Meadors <chris@hereintown.net> said:
    > "Raj, Ashok" wrote:

    > > Linux kernel names the scsi drives sda, sdb .... so in case you switch
    > > slots, or move across to a different controller then its possible you
    > > can have very bad effects. Worst case is removing a drive and the drive
    > > device files dont have a persistant assiciation with the location, or
    > > do we have a magic superblock what the configured name was.

    [...]

    > devfs takes care of this. With the devfs patches you can address your
    > drive by it's physical location, from controller all the way down to
    > partition.

    That is exactly the wrong answer. What is needed is to address the _data_
    on the disk, not it's ephemeral phyiscal location. Worse yet, having to
    become acquainted with esotherica like "controller all way down to
    partition". OTOH, if you take a look at current versions of mount(8), you
    _can_ mount by volume identifier and don't need all this nonsense at all.
    --
    Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
    Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616