SubjectRe: DSL Modem?
> I suppose this only leaves 3 issues that are valid for the list
> topic however:
>
> rfc1483 bridging support in the kernel?

That would need a bit of kernel work on the bridge code for header space
copying but not a lot

> PPPoE support in kernelspace...

Its a case of 'which'

> support for various DSL chipsets.

Intel are being a pain, promise things, deny them, promise them again, blame
someone else. I've spent a while going around the loop with them on this and
the EEPro100+ server. I'm bored of it. I don't expect Intel DSL cards to
ever be supported. A guy I know is working with one of the other vendors
boards and except for a small issue to be worked out may have a GPL driver
eventually

USB DSL is likely to come along at some point. There are also hopefully going
to be DSL devices from 3com who at least historically have been very
Linux friendly.

> Moreover, the comments about prohibiting NAT are policy only. As
> far as I know -- there is no way to determine if a person is using
> NAT from the other side of a connection without having some sort
> of access to their equipment. Personally, unless I'm paying a
> provider to service my equipment, configure, maintain, etc -- I
> don't want them to touch it.

If you are a DSL provider and would like some tools to determine if NAT
or masquerading is being used I can quote you a price 8). Seriously its
not very hard to spot.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.150 / U:0.116 seconds]