    SubjectRe: [patch-2.3.46-p2] P6 microcode update support
    Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > Nah. The user should use the intel/bios manufacturer tool to tell the
    > BIOS that there is a new microcode image. There is an API call to give
    > the BIOS a new microcode, which it will subsequently download to the
    > CPU on the next boot.

    I know about that one but it was so overly complicated in comparison to
    the straightfoward loading the image ourselves (without telling BIOS
    about it) that I implemented that instead. It is not wrong - some other
    OSes do something similar as well. Besides, I think one needed to be in
    real mode to do what you say (vaguely remember yesterday's reading of
    section 8.10)

    > Hey, the nasty thing is that we will continue to report the old mask
    > level, as the "what's this CPU" stuff is only done at boot time right?

    One could go and tweak that data after the update. But even if not
    (export restrictions (kernel->modules), it is still better to have a
    bugfree CPU reported as buggy than to have a buggy CPU reported as such?

    Regards,
    Tigran.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.021 / U:62.264 seconds]