    SubjectRe: [patch-2.3.46-p2] P6 microcode update support
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > >
    > > I tested both SMP and UP kernels on my home SMP machine (CPU
    > > signature=0x673, upgraded to revision=14 microcode)
    >
    > The code looks ok, but "mtrr.c"?
    >
    > That just doesn't make any sense. Why not a separate simple driver?
    >
    > Linus

    Oh ok. I wanted to do that but I thought you would say "why having a
    separate simple driver if you can just put it in.. say mtrr.c?" :)
    Besides, it is from mtrr.c I learned that Linux can do function call
    IPIs like on other x86 UNIX flavours. Actually I wanted an ioctl on
    /proc/cpuinfo but that meant upgrading it from the status of simple
    "misc" proc file and mtrr already had ioctls.

    Ok, I will make a separate simple character driver with a single ioctl
    (to not have to deal with issues of multiple read(2)), although being
    able to just say "cat microcode > /dev/microcode" would be nice.

    Also, more importantly, Intel manual says "the update must run in the
    early stages of POST and always before L2 cache controllers are
    initialized". I ignored it and it still worked fine. However, on the bus
    to work this morning I thought "perhaps I should use some MSRs to
    disable cache and re-enable it?". I will think on this in the background
    but first rewrite it as a char driver.

    Thanks for your feedback,

    I suppose I need to ask Peter to grant me minor=180 of the major=10
    (misc character drivers)? And most difficult part - think of a short
    name prefix abbreviation for "Intel P6 Microcode Update Device" - IMU?
    /dev/imu

    Regards,
    Tigran.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.023 / U:0.840 seconds]