    SubjectRe: Of removable devices
    In message <88f0hb$gau@pell.pell.portland.or.us>, david parsons writes:
    +-----
    | In article <linux.kernel.Pine.GSO.4.10.10002161324530.13707-100000@weyl.math.
    | psu.edu>,
    | Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:
    | >On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, David Balazic wrote:
    | >> it would mount as another logical volume. Now when there was a need to
    | >> access
    | >> the first floppy, the OS popped up a dialog ( a requester, in amiga
    | >> terminology :-)
    | >> saying "Insert volume Linux_help_disk into any drive". When the user
    | >
    | >Ahem... OK, does anyone else see something strange in words "OS popped up
    | >a dialog"?
    |
    | On a real operating system, the OS would simply notify userland, which
    | would do whatever it wanted to do. A sensible userland might then
    +--->8

    Solaris manages to do this quite well without any weird interactions between
    kernel and userspace: vold keeps track and notifies a listener which pops
    up the dialog if you're running X. If you aren't, you get a text message
    instead.

    Seriously, find a Solaris box and look at vold and rmmount. They're not
    perfect, but they don't suck all that badly either.

    --
    brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.023 / U:91.596 seconds]