SubjectRe: 2.3.43 breaks pppd! (SOLVED, possible config gotcha)
In message <200002151520.e1FFKHP26740@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>you write:
>Paul Barton-Davis <pbd@Op.Net> said:
>
>[...]
>
>> Right, if you compile it into the kernel, it will obviously work. But
>> if you compile it as a module *without* also requesting KMOD, then it
>> will not work *even when* you manually insmod the required modules.
>> Or at least, thats been my experience. Maybe I didn't load all the
>> required modules, now that I think of it - without kmod, it would have
>> been missing slhc and the other compression modules. Sigh.
>
>modprobe(8)

wrong! this is the whole crux of the matter. modprobe will not
discover any dependencies between ppp_generic/ppp_async and the
compression modules, because there are none. you have to figure out
yourself that you need to get the compression modules loaded, since
all pppd will do is complain that certain things can't be done,
without giving any indication that there is a module or two missing.

if you have kmod present, then pppd's requests will be handled
automagically, and you don't have to determine which modules are
needed by hand.

modprobe only solves inter-module dependencies, not requirements
within applications for the presence of certain modules.

--p

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.072 / U:0.256 seconds]