SubjectRe: Of removable devices

On 15 Feb 2000, Francis GALIEGUE wrote:

> Moreover, this situation is not very different from
> opening a file on disk and deleting it in another window. The only
> difference is that it'd be killed if the media is gone.

Yes, it is. Unlinked files are still there, still readable/writable/whatever.
If you don't know this sort of basic things - pardon me when I'm sceptical
about your suggestions regarding VFS.

> If well implemented, it needs no bad press, nor it needs press at all.

So where is your patch?

> > You missed one important thing: what to do with situation where system CAN
> > NOT be correctly detached (that is floppy can not be easily ejected). One
> > such situation is outlined above and it's just simples case ...
>
> And it has a simple solution: a forcible kill. After all, it's the
> users's fault in this case. You know which processes use a file, if
> this file doesn't exist *and* the device is "sloppy-mounted" and not
> here -> SIGKILL.

And what about kernel data structures affected by this stuff?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.994 / U:0.116 seconds]