    SubjectRe: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux
    take a look at the enbeded systems board prices, they include everything
    under the sun and are far mor expensive and capible then this type of
    project needs.

    i saw something (I think it was on ace's hardware site) over the weekend
    indicating there was a new chipset for gigE running ~$100 ea, combine that
    with a crusoe cpu (~$50) and some ram (say 16M for $30) you won't meet the
    +$100 that larry is wanting, but you could probably get +$250 for a box
    that would be a very adaquate webserver or fileserver, forget building
    huge central fileserver, have a bunch of tiny network fileservers with a
    way for the client to pass the connection off to another server (symlink
    equivalent) how many of these could you get working on the budget of a
    reasonable dual/quad server for a medium office (these machines run
    $15-20K to start)

    David Lang

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Sandy Harris wrote:

    > Bjorn Wesen wrote:
    > > I don't doubt the feasability of the HW design at all at that price. The
    > > main problem is probably simply cold feet. Imagine you are a hot-shot HD
    > > manufacturer. You instinctively feel "this is cool stuff", and prepare the
    > > design and R&D. All is well. Until you come to think "can I even find 1
    > > million customers who understands how to use this thingy?", ...
    > >
    > > The HD manufacturer would probably in that situation just put on the
    > > ethernet interface, additional RAM, verify that it can run some OS'es,
    > > then make some OEM deals with a linux server company to design and support
    > > the OS and utils that will go into it. ....
    > > One possible intermediary is to sell a small board that attaches to the
    > > bottom of the drive, with a pass-through power connector and a bridge to
    > > the IDE port. Would break the 3.5" form factor though.
    > What about a board that fits in a 5 1/4" bay, leaving room for a 3.5"
    > drive below it, and has ARM, VLSI IDE controller, ethernet, ...
    > In a standard low-cost box designed for a single 5 1/4" device like
    > CD-ROM or tape drive, this becomes a standalone network server. If you
    > need a bunch, put them in a big case designed for a PC server or a
    > RAID array.
    > The 5 1/4" form factor gives you enough room to have connectors for
    > two IDE controllers, so you can use standard motherboard chips for the
    > IDE and run two drives fast or four much less so. It also allows you
    > to support fairly large memory for some applications.
    > This doesn't take a drive manufacturer. Anyone building PC motherboards
    > or embedded systems could take a crack at it.
    > -
    > the body of a message to
    > Please read the FAQ at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.020 / U:6.608 seconds]