SubjectRe: DSL Modem?
David Lang writes:
> Richard, you won't be able to re-gain any of the IP addresses, you still
> will have to have
> 1 (network address)
> 1 (gateway on your local network)
> 5 useable
> 1 (broadcase)
>
> it doesn't matter if the DSL connection is internal or external, it is
> still a router. If it is internal it just is a router on a card.
>
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > However, I actually *want* an internal DSL card, rather than the
> > external modem I've got now. It would allow me to reclaim one
> > (possibly two) IP addresses from the pool of 8 I was given. So if
> > someone knows what's happening in this area, please let me know.

Really? I expected that the DSL card would just implement the physical
layer, and that IP routing would be left to the PC, just like
conventional modems.

So the DSL card yields IP packets, not some lower-level packet?
Are all DSL cards like this?

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.243 / U:0.432 seconds]