SubjectNEW REVILATION Re: HARDWARE HELL - POSSIBLE LINUX BUG AND/OR HARDWARE FAILURE ?
IT'S NOT JUST SHRED ANYMORE!!!@!!!! OR DD!!!!!

it just crashed on cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null

it did one of it's favorite ways to crash

[<c01957e>] [<c0109545>]
[<c01957e>] [<c0109545>]
[<c01957e>] [<c0109545>]
[<c01957e>] [<c0109545>]
[<c01957e>] [<c0109545>]

all over the screen

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Something that you might want to do is to check the temperature of
> various parts of your system on the motherboard. There have been cases
> where memory that's been certified by a major CPU manufacturer as being
> Good Stuff was, when run under a really good memory torture test
> (written by Larry Augustine), was observed to reach surface temperatures
> of over 90 degrees centigrade. (And this was in an otherwise well
> ventilated chasis!) The guess is that it worked fine in Windows sytems,
> because it never agressively accessed the memory that hard, so the
> manufacturer never noticed the fundamental design flaw. Obviously, we
> decided not to use that particular memory in our systems. :-)
>
> Given that your problems started (and restarted) when you ran GNU shred,
> I would suggest running it, and then when your system crashes, take some
> temperature measurements and see if anything seems unusually hot. From
> your description, it sounds suspiciously like a thermal problem. Do the
> problems seem to go away (or lessen) if you let the computer cool down
> for a while?
>
> If you have some temperature probes, try attaching them to various parts
> of the motherboard (especially the CPU, memory, and cache), and then run
> your system with the cover on. The problem may also be exacerbated by a
> bad chasis design so that there are "hot spots" in certain parts of your
> motherboard. Then, when a program agressively exercises the system,
> it's enough to cause some component (probably memory or cache, given
> your symptoms) to fall over. Oh, I'd also put a thermal sensor on your
> disk drive; some disk drives can get *really* hot when you exercise them
> a lot. (The Seagate Barracudas come to mind as a good example.)
>
> Finally, I'll give a plug for VA Linux's "burn-in" software, which can
> be found at "ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/software/Cerberos". You might
> find it a good way to torture test a system (sometimes to failure, if
> it's dodgy on ventilation, power, etc.; read the warnings before you use
> it.)
>
> - Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.077 / U:0.108 seconds]