SubjectRe: SMP, ext2, again: rm: cannot remove file: Input/output error
From
   Date:   Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:41:15 +0000
From: Elmer Joandi <elmer@ylenurme.ee>

now my filesystem gets seriously screwed on unpacking of linux kernel
sources. multiple files that ls does not show but rmdir and bash
autocomplete can see.

What do you mean by "files that ls does not show". Do they show up if
you use "ls -l"? bash autocompletion uses the same system calls as ls
does. It's only a matter of how they show up.

And it is repeatable now.
untar sources, multiple such errors, unmount,
fsck no errors, mount, rm, still errors
reboot, boot 2.2.13, no errors at mount,
can rm no problems.

If the errors disappear when you reboot, then it's probably an in-memory
corruption. This tends to point the finger at the memory and bus
subsystem (OK, you say you're not over clocking this time), or disk
controller or disk cables (check the length of the cable), etc. In your
case, since you claim the problem goes away when you boot 2.2.13, but
reliably comes back when you boot 2.3.39, it's probably a specific
interaction between your driver and the kernel.

Listing your specific hardware configuration (with a special view
towards your disk subsystem), and reporting it to Linux-kernel is
probably your best bet. I can say that when I've tried 2.3.39+ kernels,
I haven't seen the problem on my systems.

SMP, ext2, dual celeron, not OC this time, tyan tiger 100 MB,
kernel 386 optimized this time, IBM-DJNA-370910

If ext2 maintainer refuses to ack the error, could I get then a
time-saving hint about how to test/prove it (if I have time left
from softnet conversions)

Keep in mind that the problem isn't necessarily a ext2 filesystem error;
in fact, given that it goes away when you reboot, it's likely to be a
device driver / hardware interaction issue.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.054 / U:0.052 seconds]