SubjectRe: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux

Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> writes:

> The main reason that the drive guys are looking at stuff like this is
> margin. Drive companies are more or less giving away their products,
> the margins are very thin and the competition is very tough. What the
> drive guys would _LOVE_ is a way to add enough value that they can
> raise the cost. I suspect that when these drives come out, they'll
> be a hell of a lot more than the $300 I hope for. They'll be around
> $1000 or so. The company that comes out with them first will enjoy
> a certain amount of success and then there will be competition and the
> prices will get driven down.

FWIW NetGear do a box which is not a million miles away from this sort
of thing. Basically it's a 20G drive in a 8"x5"x2" box which sits on
the end of a 100Base T and speaks (IIRC) SMB and HTTP for
config. Can't remember the price and it's not _exactly_ what you
talking about but it's on the market today so I'd guess that NetGear
at least would buy your arguments.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.088 / U:0.156 seconds]