SubjectRe: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux
On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 11:01:54AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Bjorn Wesen:
> : On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, J.D. Bakker wrote:
> : > My estimate is that adding a minimal StrongARM+100BT to a disk drive adds
> : > $40-$50 maximum to the BOM cost at volumes >10k; less if you go for higher
> : > quantities and stuff an SA-1 (or other fast core) and integrated 100[0]BT
> : > into an ASIC.
> :
> : I don't doubt the feasability of the HW design at all at that price. The
> : main problem is probably simply cold feet. Imagine you are a hot-shot HD
> : manufacturer. You instinctively feel "this is cool stuff", and prepare the
> : design and R&D. All is well. Until you come to think "can I even find 1
> : million customers who understands how to use this thingy?",
>
> [and other well reasoned analysis...]
>
> The main reason that the drive guys are looking at stuff like this is
> margin. Drive companies are more or less giving away their products,
> the margins are very thin and the competition is very tough. What the
> drive guys would _LOVE_ is a way to add enough value that they can
> raise the cost. I suspect that when these drives come out, they'll
> be a hell of a lot more than the $300 I hope for. They'll be around
> $1000 or so. The company that comes out with them first will enjoy
> a certain amount of success and then there will be competition and the
> prices will get driven down.

---end quoted text---

This discussion has now returned to earth. But the problem is for that price
you can get a general purpose pc or even a low end server that can do so much
more.[1] This almost assuredly means this is a low volume product. Then add in
the significant product support that is going to be required if the general
public uses it, (as someone else has pointed out.) and you have some huge
negatives on the other side of the equation...

Karen

[1]I know of a group in San Jose who are fooling around with 1U servers that have
3 or 4 network connections that they want to sell for considerably less than
$1000. They actually have prototypes and will be demonstrating them at the next
svlug installfest. (I think) Check out http://www.linux-consulting.com or
alvin@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com

--
----