    SubjectRe: Scheduled Transfer Protocol on Linux
    On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 03:55:11PM -0800, Zachary Amsden wrote:
    > > : Maybe if you are talking about huge disk cages, and the cost was amortized
    > > : over a bunch of disks it would be feasible, but if you are talking about
    > > : single drives, this is sheer madness.
    > >
    > > To you, perhaps. I'll tell you this: I run a software business on Linux.
    > > I can get 20GB drives for $200. If I could get 20GB drives with Linux
    > > running on them for $300, I'd be buying them like cupcakes.
    > Why? So you can log in to your disk drives and run emacs?

    Because if the drive spoke GigE instead of IDE or SCSI ribbon cable, and
    ran Linux, then it's effectively a standalone Linux box.

    Imagine hot swappable web server hard disk. Plug your disk straight into
    the switch, telnet in, configure apache, upload content, done.

    I believe it's possible, but I think Larry's estimates of 50% extra cost
    ($200 -> $300) are off the wall. The Itsy shows you can make Linux boxes
    small enough, but the pricetag (several thousand $) also shows that it's
    economically impractical.

    > I would much rather see that $100 going towards more storage capacity and
    > buffering, rather than a CPU running linux. I think a lot of people would
    > agree with me on that one.

    Yup. 100mhz Pentium and motherboard is literally $50, including case and
    NIC and RAM. Shove a $200 disk inside and I effectively get exactly what
    Larry's talking about (hot swappable ethernet interfaced disk drive) but
    my version is a bit bigger. Space doesn't concern me. Dollars do.

    Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
    Linux users aren't rebelling, we've already won - All Hell Can't Stop Us Now

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:317.660 seconds]