SubjectRe: 2.3.43 alpha broken with >2g of ram

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Richard Henderson wrote:

> Ah, I see. I was unclear how this was done. In which case, I think
> the command line switch is most definitely the best option.
>
> Andrea, if you still feel the need to forward port the highmem stuff,
> you'd better make it a configure option only. Otherwise you'd be
> punishing systems that do have all devices converted.

Richard, you do not seem to understand.

The highmem approach gets everything right, and has basically zero
performance impact.

"all devices converted" is not even _close_ to true. You'll end up with
horrible configuration problems, where people don't even realize that one
of the drivers (or perhaps a module) isn't necessarily safe.

Yes, _your_ machine may have all drivers converted, and _you_ may know
that that is true. But what about a regular user, who has to find out the
hard way?

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.052 / U:0.100 seconds]