    SubjectRe: 2.3.43 alpha broken with >2g of ram

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Richard Henderson wrote:

    > This only helps block devices though. And they are the ones
    > I would think you'd be least concerned about. This is basically
    > just SCSI and IDE and floppy. We'll have converted all of the
    > SCSI controlers that commonly appear on Alpha, and IDE and floppy
    > are already done.

    The block devices are the only ones that matter.

    With the highmem approach, no other devices will ever see the
    non-PCI-DMA'able pages, which is EXACTLY what we want.

    That's the whole point of using the high-mem approach: the high pages are
    still used, but they are used only for a controlled subset of the problems
    space.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.022 / U:0.192 seconds]