SubjectRe: 2.3.43 alpha broken with >2g of ram

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Richard Henderson wrote:

> This only helps block devices though. And they are the ones
> I would think you'd be least concerned about. This is basically
> just SCSI and IDE and floppy. We'll have converted all of the
> SCSI controlers that commonly appear on Alpha, and IDE and floppy
> are already done.

The block devices are the only ones that matter.

With the highmem approach, no other devices will ever see the
non-PCI-DMA'able pages, which is EXACTLY what we want.

That's the whole point of using the high-mem approach: the high pages are
still used, but they are used only for a controlled subset of the problems
space.

Linus