SubjectRe: Capabilities
In message <>, Peter Benie writes:
| Matthew Kirkwood writes ("Re: Capabilities"):
| > > Capabilities don't solve the inability to change which port is bound
| > > since cap_net_bind_service is equivalent to root on most machines.
| > Please explain? If bind has only CNBS and runs as user "named",
| > then there is no root equivalence that I can see.
| If you can bind to low numbered ports, you can fake credentials for
| rsh or rlogin. From there, you can get to root on many machines

I can do that from a Windows PC, if necessary spoofing packets from a
legitimate host. So?

Anyone who doesn't disable or severely restrict the r-commands is begging
for trouble: *they* are the security holes here, not CNBS.

brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl
system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering kf8nh