    SubjectRe: Capabilities
    In message <E12Iwlj-0004MM-00@taurus.cus.cam.ac.uk>, Peter Benie writes:
    +-----
    | Matthew Kirkwood writes ("Re: Capabilities"):
    | > > Capabilities don't solve the inability to change which port is bound
    | > > since cap_net_bind_service is equivalent to root on most machines.
    | >
    | > Please explain? If bind has only CNBS and runs as user "named",
    | > then there is no root equivalence that I can see.
    |
    | If you can bind to low numbered ports, you can fake credentials for
    | rsh or rlogin. From there, you can get to root on many machines
    +--->8

    I can do that from a Windows PC, if necessary spoofing packets from a
    legitimate host. So?

    Anyone who doesn't disable or severely restrict the r-commands is begging
    for trouble: *they* are the security holes here, not CNBS.

    --
    brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:60.404 seconds]