    SubjectRe: Keyboard is frozen on boot of 2.3.41
    On 03:35 PM 1/30/00 , Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >More suggestions, if you have the time and the energy:
    > - disable the keyboard before changing the controller mode in open_aux(),
    > and re-order the operations, ie make the init sequence look like this:
    >
    > kbd_write_command_w(KBD_CCMD_MOUSE_ENABLE); send_data(KBD_CMD_DISABLE);
    > kbd_write_cmd(AUX_INTS_ON);
    > send_data(KBD_CMD_ENABLE);
    > aux_write_ack(AUX_ENABLE_DEV);

    Hi Linus,
    Ok, I did some more testing, and my statement about the above code making
    no difference is not correct. It appears that as long as I have irq 12 manually
    assigned to something in the bios, I don't get any lockups if there is no ps/2
    mouse connected when gpm attempts to open /dev/psaux. Here are the results of
    my latest testing:

    stock 2.2.14:
    - locks up no matter what if no mouse connected when /dev/psaux opened

    2.2.14 with the above init sequence:
    - locks up if irq 12 is not manually assigned to a device in the bios
    - if irq 12 is assigned, no lockup occurs.

    stock 2.3.41:
    - locks up if irq 12 is not manually assigned to a device in the bios
    - if irq 12 is assigned, no lockup occurs.

    I didn't try 2.3.41 with the above init sequence change, since it seems not to
    lockup if irq 12 is assigned. Here's how I currently have the irq's assigned
    in the bios:

    current old
    PIRQ_0 3 3
    PIRQ_1 11 9
    PIRQ_2 12 11
    PIRQ_3 5 5

    It seems to me that this is a bios bug, or at least a bios quirk.

    -Harold

    --
    "Life sucks, deal with it!"