    SubjectRe: [Fwd: NTFS repair tools]
    On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 08:19:46AM -0500, David Relson wrote:
    > At 11:54 PM 12/7/00, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
    >

    > >Linux today monitors this list. Some public education may be the best
    > >route. How do we post a security advisory warning people that will get
    > >posted? I'm sure folks see the DANGEROUS comments, but they don't seem
    > >to stick in their heads. Then they get themselves into trouble, and
    > >fortunately for them, I'm around. I am just concerned about the scope
    > >of the black eye that will just keep getting bigger and bigger for Linux
    > >NTFS.
    >

    > FWIW, Mandrake Linux includes a tool MandrakeUpdate which allows
    > downloading of "Normal Updates" or "Development Updates". If you chose
    > Devel Upd, you get the following warning:
    >
    > Caution ! These packages are NOT well tested.
    > You really can screw up your system
    > by installing them.
    >
    > Perhaps the configure tools could recognize a DANGEROUS status (or keyword
    > or ???) and would display such a message ...

    No amount of warnings can prevent morons from f**king up. Unix gives
    you enough rope et al. I'm not arguing for removal of any warning, but
    seriously, if we have a loud (DANGEROUS) warning in the config-system
    aaaaaand a warning in the help-text that the write-support probably will
    mess up your fs, how much more can you do? I bet that if we remove the
    config-option, people will still enable it manually, then go "Waaaaa,
    your stupid kernel messed up my filesystem, Linux sucks!"

    But I kind of liked the

    Enable write support (DANGEROUS)
    Really enable write support (DANGEROUS)
    Are you f**king nuts?!

    approach anyway. A strong candidate for Rik van Riel's patch-of-the-month
    homepage.

    /David
    _ _
    // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
    // Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
    \> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:4.140 / U:0.060 seconds]