SubjectRe: [Fwd: NTFS repair tools]
On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:42:45PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> "Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:
>
> We don't need any messages. If (DANGEROUS) is not sufficient, then
> disable the feature unconditionally. Someone hacking on the code will
> be smart enough to enable the stuff while they are debugging.
>
> Jeff

You guys make the call. I will be here to catch the 100+ messages that would
normally be posting to the kernel list with "Linux destroyed my data", and
I have been handling them. I am just alerting you guys that the numbers
of people needing this are increasing, which is an indication more and more
people are using Linux to migrate NT to Linux, and vice-versa, and getting
themselves into trouble. We need to brainstorm a more long term solution
for this problem. I suspect if I post these tools on our FTP server
for free download, MS will promptly show up with attorneys. Normally, this
is what I would do, but these tools were developed via access to MS IP,
and so long as I am helping MS customers recover data in a "consulting"
capacity, I do not believe they will interfere, particularly since
everytime this happens, Linux gets a great big black eye with the
affected customer. But very soon (like after 2.4 ships) the numbers
of folks needing this may increase to a capacity I cannot support
properly without dumping these tools into general distribution -- then
the shit will hit the fan with MS if I do this.

:-)

Jeff