    SubjectRe: Kernel Development Documentation?
    Date
    On Fri, 08 Dec 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Is there a project underway that documents how things like the VM, the Memory
    > > Manger, what a a specific driver needs to do, what it needs to return, how it is
    > > called, what do all those files in arch/whatever do? Are there bits and pieces

    Of course we are not really talking Linux api here - these are internal
    interfaces. The Linux syscalls themselves are reasonably
    well-documented. The internal interfaces... weeelllll...

    http://lxr.linux.no

    I know exactly how it feels when first getting into the internal kernel
    interfaces - for me that was barely a year ago. I wanted at that time
    to try and fix all the documentation problems as I went, but it quickly
    turned into a choice between doing useful development and doing useful
    documentation. Guess which one I chose. I sincerely hope that others
    will make the opposite choice, and the linux hacking world will be a
    better place.

    > For the kernel stuff there is a project to put documentation about functions
    > and what they do inline into the kernel. Its slow progress. Trying to do
    > anything formal and structured isnt going to be productive until the
    > documentation is much much more complete
    >
    > For syscalls Andries Brouwer maintains a man page collection (and writes many
    > of them). He takes submissions.

    http://www.win.tue.nl/math/dw/personalpages/aeb/linux/

    Wow, that's useful. Also check out:

    http://kernelnewbies.org/links/

    with many high quality links to kernel documentation around the web.

    Tigran Aivazian has been preparing 'Linux Kernel Internals' which is
    *highly recommended* and 100% free. Why don't you get together with
    him, and Gary Lawrence Murphy (see his monthy kernel wiki nag)?

    Personally, I try to do the right thing and submit at least one piece
    of documentation per month to somebody's documenation project but...
    it's not always so easy to free up the required hour or two. This
    month my feeble attempt consisted of nagging Ben LaHaise to submit a
    particularly lucid email he sent me as a code comment.

    Maybe next month will be better.

    --
    Daniel