    SubjectRe: test12-pre5
    Hi,

    On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 03:17:07PM -0500, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >
    > > And this is not just a "it happens to be like this" kind of thing. It
    > > _has_ to be like this, because every time we call clear_inode() we are
    > > going to physically free the memory associated with the inode very soon
    > > afterwards. Which means that _any_ use of the inode had better be long
    > > gone. Dirty buffers included.
    >
    > Urgh. Linus, AFAICS we _all_ agree on that. The only real question is
    > whether we consider calling clear_inode() with droppable dirty buffers
    > to be OK. It can't happen on the dispose_list() path and I'ld rather
    > see it _not_ happening on the delete_inode() one. It's a policy question,
    > not the correctness one.

    Right, because if we get this wrong, the kernel won't complain, but
    we'll have a rare, impossible-to-diagnose potential data corrupter for
    any applications which do recovery on reboot.

    If we're not going to change the code, then at the very least a huge
    warning comment above clear_inode() is necessary to make it explicit
    that you shouldn't ever pass in an inode with dirty buffers unless
    nlink==0, and I'd rather see the BUG there instead.

    --Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.043 / U:121.008 seconds]