Subjecttest12-pre5

Ok, this contains one of the fixes for the dirty inode buffer list (the
other fix is pending, simply because I still want to understand why it
would be needed at all). Al?

Also, it has the final installment of the PageDirty handling, and now
officially direct IO can work by just marking the physical page dirty and
be done with it. NFS along with all filesystems have been converted, the
one hold-out still being smbfs.

Who works on smbfs these days? I see two ways of fixing smbfs now that
"writepage()" only gets an anonymous page and no "struct file" information
any more (this also fixes the double page unlock that Andrew saw).

- disable shared mmap over smbfs (very easily done by just setting
writepage to NULL)

- fetch the dentry that writepage needs by just looking at the
inode->i_dentry list and/or just make the smbfs page cache host be the
dentry instead of the inode like other filesystems. The first approach
assumes that all paths are equal for writeout, the second one assumes
that there are no hard linking going on in smbfs.

Somebody more knowledgeable than I will have to make the decision
(otherwise I'll just end up disabling shared mmap - I doubt anybody really
uses it anyway, but it would be more polite to just support it).

NOTE! There's another change to "writepage()" semantics than just dropping
the "struct file": the new writepage() is supposed to mirror the logic of
readpage(), and unlock the page when it is done with it. This allows the
VM system more visibility into what IO is pending (which the VM doesn't
take advantage of yet, but now it can _truly_ use the same logic for both
swapout and for dirty file writeback).

The other change is that I forward-ported the ymfpci driver from 2.2.18,
as it works better than the ALSA one on my now-to-be-main-laptop ;)

[ Alan - I ahve your patches in my incoming queue still, I wanted to get
an interim version out to check with Al on the block list and the VM
stuff with Rik and people. ]

Linus

----
- pre5:
- Jaroslav Kysela: ymfpci driver
- me: get rid of bogus MS_INVALIDATE semantics
- me: final part of the PageDirty() saga
- Rusty Russell: 4-way SMP iptables fix
- Al Viro: oops - bad ext2 inode dirty block bug

- pre4:
- Andries Brouwer: final isofs pieces.
- Kai Germaschewski: ISDN
- play CD audio correctly, don't stop after 12 minutes.
- Anton Altaparmakov: disable NTFS mmap for now, as it doesn't work.
- Stephen Tweedie: fix inode dirty block handling
- Bill Hartner: reschedule_idle - prefer right cpu
- Johannes Erdfelt: USB updates
- Alan Cox: synchronize
- Richard Henderson: alpha updates and optimizations
- Geert Uytterhoeven: fbdev could be fooled into crashing fix
- Trond Myklebust: NFS filehandles in inode rather than dentry

- pre3:
- me: more PageDirty / swapcache handling
- Neil Brown: raid and md init fixes
- David Brownell: pci hotplug sanitization.
- Kanoj Sarcar: mips64 update
- Kai Germaschewski: ISDN sync
- Andreas Bombe: ieee1394 cleanups and fixes
- Johannes Erdfelt: USB update
- David Miller: Sparc and net update
- Trond Myklebust: RPC layer SMP fixes
- Thomas Sailer: mixed sound driver fixes
- Tigran Aivazian: use atomic_dec_and_lock() for free_uid()

- pre2:
- Peter Anvin: more P4 configuration parsing
- Stephen Tweedie: O_SYNC patches. Make O_SYNC/fsync/fdatasync
do the right thing.
- Keith Owens: make mdule loading use the right struct module size
- Boszormenyi Zoltan: get MTRR's right for the >32-bit case
- Alan Cox: various random documentation etc
- Dario Ballabio: EATA and u14-34f update
- Ivan Kokshaysky: unbreak alpha ruffian
- Richard Henderson: PCI bridge initialization on alpha
- Zach Brown: correct locking in Maestro driver
- Geert Uytterhoeven: more m68k updates
- Andrey Savochkin: eepro100 update
- Dag Brattli: irda update
- Johannes Erdfelt: USB update

- pre1: (for ISDN synchronization _ONLY_! Not complete!)
- Byron Stanoszek: correct decimal precision for CPU MHz in
/proc/cpuinfo
- Ollie Lho: SiS pirq routing.
- Andries Brouwer: isofs cleanups
- Matt Kraai: /proc read() on directories should return EISDIR, not EINVAL
- me: be stricter about what we accept as a PCI bridge setup.
- me: always set PCI interrupts to be level-triggered when we enable them.
- me: updated PageDirty and swap cache handling
- Peter Anvin: update A20 code to work without keyboard controller
- Kai Germaschewski: ISDN updates
- Russell King: ARM updates
- Geert Uytterhoeven: m68k updates

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:1.207 / U:0.012 seconds]