    SubjectRe: test13-pre5
    On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 09:27:23AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > >
    > > Sounds good. It could also be controlled by a CONFIG_SPACE_EFFICIENT for
    > > embedded systems, where you could trade a bit of CPU for less memory overhead
    > > even on systems where u8 is slow and atomicity doesn't come into play
    > > because it's UP anyways.
    > UP has nothing to do with it.
    > The alpha systems I remember this problem on were all SMP.

    I just checked all architecture manuals I could lay my hands on
    (sparcv9, ppc32, mips r4400, parisc 1.1, alpha, sh is somewhere in
    storage but as I remember it has it too)
    and they all seem to have at least store byte and mostly store
    half words instructions.

    > Imagine an architecture where you need to do a
    > load_32()
    > mask-and-insert-byte
    > store_32()

    iirc the Alpha guys found out that they couldn't drive half of the
    available devices without byte store, and since then nobody has
    repeated that mistake @)

    > I don't think it's a good diea.

    I don't see it. Just define x8 to u32 on old alpha and let most other architectures
    be happy.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.026 / U:70.108 seconds]