    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: multiple mount of devices possible 2.4.0-test1 -

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

    > Alexander Viro writes:
    >
    > > [...] Not allowing multiple mounts of the same
    > > fs was an artifact of original namei() implementation. At some point
    > > (late 80s) it had been fixed by Bell Labs folks in their branch. In Linux
    > > it had been fixed during the last spring. That's it. You were never promised
    > > that multiple mounts will not work. Moreover, in special cases they did work
    >
    > Heh. :-)
    >
    > 1. go to http://www.linuxcertification.com/resources/quizzes/
    > 2. take the "System Administration" quiz
    > 3. try answering question 6 correctly

    ITYM s/6/7/.

    None of the variants. A: version-dependent and "just like" part is seriosuly
    misleading. B: would be correct for old versions _if_ they would add "and
    filesystem is presumed to be block-based". As it is, statement is blatantly
    incorrect - some filesystems always could be mounted in many places. C:
    not even funny. _None_ of the UNIX flavours I've seen has such limitation -
    they either refuse to do second mount at all or they do not care about
    relative location in the tree. D: see C.

    Correct answer: on versions prior to 2.4 block-based filesystems can be
    mounted only once. On 2.4 either do mount -t <whatever> /dev/hda2 /users
    or mount --bind /var /users.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.021 / U:2.480 seconds]