    SubjectRe: /dev/random probs in 2.4test(12-pre3)
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Igmar Palsenberg <>
    In newsgroup:
    > > Indeed, you are correct. Is vpnd broken then, for assuming
    > > that it can gather the required randomness in one read?
    > Yep. It assumes that if the required randommness numbers aren't met a read
    > to /dev/random will block.
    > And it's not the only program that assumes this : I also did.
    > /dev/random is called a blocking random device, which more or less implies
    > that it will totally block. I suggest we put this somewhere in the kernel
    > docs, since lots of people out there assume that it totally blocks.

    That's pretty much ALWAYS wrong -- for pipes, sockets, you name it. A
    blocking read() will only block if there is nothing to read at all.

    <> at work, <> in private!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.021 / U:11.372 seconds]