    SubjectRe: test13-pre5
    On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Tim Wright wrote:
    > Yes, this is a very important point if we ever want to make serious use
    > of large memory machines on ia32. We ran into this with DYNIX/ptx when the
    > P6 added 36-bit physical addressing. Conserving KVA (kernel virtual address
    > space), became a very high priority. Eventually, we had to add code to play
    > silly segment games and "magically" materialize and dematerialize a 4GB
    > kernel virtual address space instead of the 1GB. This only comes into play
    > with really large amounts of memory, and is almost certainly not worth the
    > agony of implementation on Linux, but we'll need to be careful elsewhere to
    > conserve it as much as possible.

    Indeed. I'm compiling my kernels with 2GB virtual. Not as I want more
    NORMAL pages in the page cache (HIGH memory is fine), but as I need
    NORMAL pages for kernel data/structures (memory allocated from
    slab-caches) which need to be constantly mapped in.

    Mark

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.026 / U:30.976 seconds]