SubjectVIA IDE controller strangeness (2.4.0-test12/test13-pre5)
---(CC answer please)---

I'm having a strange problem with my IDE controller. I believe (and that's what Windows and the m/b manufaturer -- PC Chips -- say) that I have a VIA PCI BusMaster IDE controller, and I've had some strange history with it. I've asked many people before on various help services, and I was able to fix my problem with the 2.2 series, but now my fix does not work.

THE PROBLEM:
------------

Ever since the 2.2 kernel series (I remeber this working properly in 2.0.36, without the conflicts), I would get hdc: lost interrupt during boot up, and my system would take bloody ages to boot up and load a CD. I tracked it down to a strange IRQ conflict in which Linux would try to assign both the primary and secondary IDE channels IRQ 14, causing IRQ conflicts galore. I was able to fix this by giving the kernel

ide1=0x170,0x376,15

at boot time. This has worked for 2.2.12-.17 and Alan's 2.2.18pre21 (I haven't compiled the official 2.2.18 yet, but I'm sure it will work).

I wanted to try the new 2.4.0-test series, and the first I tried was -test11, and from what I recall (other things weren't working properly then), this fix still worked, but now, with -test12, I am now getting the following error repeated for a very long time (then I reboot) with the same parameters:

ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_lostirq func only: 13
hdb: lost interrupt

Also, I get "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ 7" if I leave it for a while. I tried -test13-pre5 on somebody on #KernelNewbies' suggestion, and I get the same error. Scrolling up, I see that the kernel messages show that ide0 is on IRQ 14 and ide1 is on 15. I noticed that hda is using DMA, and hdb is using UDMA33, but I don't believe that that is the problem.

THE QUESTION:

How do I fix this, or is it a (un)known problem in the newer development versions? If you have the answer, could you please CC me as well for I don't subscribe to this mailing list (sorry!). Thanks a bunch.
--
| Evan A. Thompson | He's more fun than trying to skinny |
| evaner@bigfoot.com | dip in the beach in winter... |