    SubjectRe: test13-pre5
    On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 03:15:01PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > (first number for 32bit, second for 64bit)
    > >
    > > - Do not compile virtual in when the kernel does not support highmem
    > > (saves 4/8 bytes)
    >
    > Even on UP, "virtual" often helps. The conversion from "struct page" to
    > the linear address is quite common, and if "struct page" isn't a
    > power-of-two it gets slow.

    Are you sure? Last time I checked gcc did a very good job at optimizing
    small divisions with small integers, without using div. It just has to
    be a good integer with not too many set bits.

    > is 100% accurate, we _do_ care that the fields close-by don't get strange
    > effects from updating "age". We used to have exactly this problem on alpha
    > back in the 2.1.x timeframe.

    When it is shared with a constant field (like zone index) it shouldn't
    matter, no ? At worst you can see outdated data, and when the outdated
    data is constant all is fine.

    > > - flags can be __u32 on 64bit hosts, sharing 64bit with something that
    > > is tolerant to async updates (e.g. the zone table index or the index)
    > > - index could be probably u32 instead of unsigned long, saving 4 bytes
    > > on i386
    >
    > It already _is_ 32-bit on x86.

    Oops. It was a typo. I meant to write "saving 4 bytes on 64bit"

    > Anyway, I don't want to increase "struct page" in size, but I also don't
    > think it's worth micro-optimizing some of these things if the code gets
    > harder to maintain (like the partial-word stuff would be).

    Ok pity :-/

    Hopefully all the "goto out" micro optimizations can be taken out then too,
    I recently found out that gcc 2.97's block moving pass has the tendency
    to move the outlined blocks inline again ;)

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.024 / U:30.408 seconds]