SubjectRe: About Celeron processor memory barrier problem

On Sun, 24 Dec 2000, Tim Wright wrote:

> > Which is all fine, but maybe the kernel really ought to detect that
> > problem and complain at boot time?
> >
> > Or does that happen already?
>
> There was a similar thread to this recently. The issue is that if you
> choose the wrong processor type, you may not even be able to complain.

Indeed. Some of the issues end up just becoming compiler flags, which
means that anything that uses C is "tainted" by the processor choice. And
happily there isn't all that much non-C in the kernel any more.

One thing we _could_ potentially do is to simplify the CPU selection a
bit, and make it a two-stage process. Basically have a

bool "Optimize for current CPU" CONFIG_CPU_CURRENT

which most people who just want to get the best kernel would use. Less
confusion that way.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.097 / U:1.656 seconds]