    SubjectRe: About Celeron processor memory barrier problem
    On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 10:45:14AM +0100, Jeffrey Rose wrote:
    > I also have a Celeron 600 in my Compaq 5000, but even with the output
    > below, I am not sure this is what Linus is talking about! I believe
    > Linus is trying to say, "We HAVE configurations set for that specific
    > architecture, so please USE them." However, I suppose you are saying you
    > will get better performance from selecting PIII due to this output? Let
    > me know ...

    The confusion is because Intel reused the name Celeron for a completely
    different CPU. The original Celeron was based on a PII core, the new
    Celeron is based on a PIII core. Both Celerons have the same features
    as the CPU they are based on, but with less cache memory. Selecting
    PIII for the new PIII based Celeron will indeed give you slightly
    better performance.

    Erik

    Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
    Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl