    SubjectRe: No more DoS
       From: Michael Peddemors <michael@linuxmagic.com>
    Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:20:06 -0800

    > I think not holding onto any state for an incoming SYN is nothing but
    > a dream in any serious modern TCP implementation. It can be reduced,
    > but not eliminated. The former is what most modern stacks have done
    > to fight these problems.

    A dream, maybe .... but hey so were most things that we now take for granted..
    Worth kicking around a bit tho...

    At a minimum you have to remember the MSS value given by the remote
    host in the initial SYN, it is impossible to avoid this and provide
    a TCP implementation of any level of quality.

    The foundations of this person's scheme simply cannot work.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.029 / U:64.024 seconds]