    SubjectRe: rocketport pci question... it stopped working after 250 days uptime
    Ok,

    I have another box which has had the same failure (rocketport serial ports
    stoped working after 248 days and 16 hours). I have about 2 more hours before
    I need to reboot the box and get it back into production.

    I have both a working and non-working example, where I have re-compiled and
    re-loaded the rocketport module with the debugging info turned on.

    On my working example:
    # when I load the module the init function gets called
    int rp_init(void)

    # when I cat from the tty device the open function gets called
    static int rp_open(struct tty_struct *tty, struct file * filp) #

    # then somehow automagically the rp_handle_port() gets called by
    # rp_do_poll()... and data gets read
    void rp_handle_port(struct r_port *info)
    static void rp_do_poll(void)

    On my non-working example:
    # the init and the open seem to hapen fine, however the rp_do_poll() never
    # gets called?!

    I see that in rp_init(), rp_do_poll() gets saved to a "structure" called
    "timer_table[COMTROL_TIMER].fn = rp_do_poll;", however I have yet to find what
    that is.

    Where else could I look to find the problem?

    I am working with kernel 2.2.14 (/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/rocket.c), which
    except for two lines is the same in 2.2.17. I am not yet subscribed to the
    kernel list, so please cc responses to me.

    Thanks,
    donfede

    On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 03:27:49AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > These three boxes had similar uptimes (since their last kernel rebuild); 249
    > > days, 248 days, 250 days. Comparing the logs of each box, we saw that each
    > > box's rocketport stopped working after aproximately 248 days 16 hours uptime.
    > > So, my questions are:
    > > - has anyone heard of such a bug before?
    >
    > Yes. Someone is doing signed maths on time stamps (2^31 1/100th of a second)
    >
    > Ted ?
    >

    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:51    [W:0.023 / U:0.464 seconds]