    SubjectRe: 2.2.18 asm-alpha/system.h has a problem
    ** Reply to message from Peter Samuelson <> on Mon, 18 Dec
    2000 09:03:00 -0600 (CST)

    > Not a compiler bug, a source bug of assuming a C header file can be
    > included by a C++ program. The right solution, as always, is to make a
    > copy of the header (assuming you really do need it) and edit the copy
    > as necessary.

    That just creates more maintenance problems. What if the kernel header file
    changes? Then he'll have to change his copy as well. He'll forever need to
    check changes in that kernel header file, or risk having an obscure bug that's
    otherwise hard to track.

    Yes, it's perfectly valid C, but so what? That doesn't mean that it's a good
    idea. It does no harm to make a minor change to the header file to allow a C++
    compiler to digest it. I consider it to be a "professional courtesy" of a C
    programmer for a C++ programmer. All the C programmer needs to do is
    acknowledge that someone might want to use a C++ compiler on the code, and just
    make a few minor changes that have no negative affect at all.

    Timur Tabi -
    Interactive Silicon -

    When replying to a mailing-list message, please direct the reply to the mailing list only. Don't send another copy to me.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.026 / U:1.392 seconds]