    SubjectRe: 2.2.18pre21 oops reading /proc/apm
    On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > OK, I did this (at least I think I got it right: the patch was happy) but
    > > I can't see anything resembling DMI strings (even after I removed
    > Ok your machine probably doesnt have DMI then. That unfortunately means its
    > hard to identify the specific machine

    Which I presume rather rules out automagic detection and workaround?

    I take it you are refering to the Phoenix BIOS detection code in
    arch/i386/kernel/dmi_scan.c (ah yes, I see coments about QA ;-) and
    subsequent call to apm_battery_horked()?

    Is it "obvious" that I'm dealing with the same or similar kind of
    bugginess here?

    That being the case, any reason I can't/shouldn't put in a function
    similar to apm_battery_horked(), and call/run it based on a config-time

    FWIW, the machine claims "Phoenix NoteBIOS" dated 1994, and the poweroff
    bit of APM appears to work just fine.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.018 / U:3.744 seconds]